Saturday, August 2, 2008

A not so minor issue in the minor leagues

Quite an interesting story that just popped up on the AP wire in regard to the image in minor league baseball.

You can read it here.

I've personally never seen the Broncos engage in a brawl. Then again, I cover mostly home games, though I can also say I've never once heard of the team involved in one in its three years of existence.

But it does seem to me that minor league franchises take themselves a bit seriously at times. Yes, the basis is athletic competition, but the bigger picture is how it can attract fans and if fans can relate to players enough to want to see them play every day.

Violent acts have no place in minor leagues.

The M.O. of minor league franchises should be to produce a quality, competitive product while being family-friendly.

A lot of franchises seem to have a hard time of grasping that, leading to acts such as the ones listed in the story.

No comments: